Monday, December 1, 2014

The Magnate’s Manifesto by Jennifer Hayward [Guest Blog Post]


Jennifer Hayward – Guest Blog Post – The Magnate’s Manifesto

I’m often asked where I get the inspiration for my books. Ideas usually come to me as a concept as in my debut story, The Divorce Party, which was based on a real-life million-dollar divorce party that a high-profile couple in New York city threw, or a story based on a particular character that comes to me.

In the case of my current release, The Magnate’s Manifesto, it was the concept of a manifesto that stirred my imagination. One of my all time favourite movies is Jerry Maguire, in which Tom Cruise plays a sports agent who writes a manifesto on the industry that gets him fired for its controversial views.

I love Tom Cruise so much in this movie for being brave enough and perhaps cocky enough to state his views on what was wrong with the player/agent relationship – for offering a more philosophical take on an occupation. He was the one voice willing to say what everyone else wouldn’t for fear to disrupting the status quo. So I thought, what if my hero writes his own manifesto, except this one is a very honest appraisal of his chauvinistic, jaded views on women? What if his manifesto is written just to get a break up off his chest, and is meant for only his closest wingmen, but instead gets broadcast to the world? What if the only woman who can save him, save the company he has built with his bare hands, is the one woman who challenges every belief he has of women?

So that’s what I did. I love how the book turned out and how these characters live on in my head as courageous and admirable. Here’s one of my favourite scenes from the book where my hero, Jared, finds out exactly who his new Chief Marketing Officer, my heroine, Bailey, is. She is not what he expected to say the least. She’s either going to make or break him at the most crucial moment in his company’s history.

Hope you enjoy, and thanks for having me!

Excerpt

She pushed a hand against his chest and stood back, her chin lifting to a defiant angle. “What’s the big deal?”
His eyes rounded. “You’re a twenty-seven year-old, former stripper, virgin?”
Her face went even hotter. “Are you going to tag that description on every time you talk about me now, because I’m afraid that doesn’t work for me.”
He closed his eyes and raked his hair back from his face. “I don’t understand how this could happen.”
Her mouth flattened. “Simple. I haven’t gotten into bed with a man. Not that you’d understand anything about that. Half the women in the Valley are walking around with your cute little diamond charm bracelets on as if they were the Medal of Honor.”
He let out a harsh breath and opened his eyes. “It was the combination of your age and background, Bailey. You haven’t exactly been living in a nunnery.”
She put her hands on her hips and stared at him. “What were you hoping? That I’d have all sorts of tricks up my sleeve, living the life?”
His gaze narrowed. “I wasn’t actually thinking, Bailey. As you can imagine after what just happened.”

BOOK BLURB
BILLIONAIRE PLAYBOY IGNITES INTERNATIONAL INCIDENT WITH HIS MANIFESTO ON WOMEN

Jared Stone: Visionary, rebel, the tech world's golden boy…and now the most hated man on the planet!

Bailey St. James: Survivor, powerful female executive, the only woman who refuses to bow down to Jared Stone…and the only woman who can save him?
When Jared's manifesto makes him public enemy #1 the only way out is to make Bailey an offer she can't refuse—a very public promotion to VP! Now, with a major deal on the line and tensions rising, can it be long before Jared and Bailey move from spreadsheets to bed sheets?




BIO

JENNIFER HAYWARD has been a fan of romance since filching her sister’s novels to escape her teenaged angst.
Her career in journalism and PR, including years of working alongside powerful, charismatic CEOs and traveling the world, has provided perfect fodder for the fast-paced, sexy stories she likes to write, always with a touch of humour.
A native of Canada’s East coast, Jennifer lives in Toronto with her Viking husband and young Viking-in-training.

BOOK LINKS



No comments:

Post a Comment